We all have carried lunch to college or at work and I bet there is one particular dish that your mother packed for you, which your colleagues and classmates would die for. This Veg Pulao is that dish of mine where I hardly got a spoon of it to eat. My friends loved it so much I had to hand it over to them without any further questions. I felt pride then thinking, how my mom is a super cook. I’ve always talked about the use of lesser ingredients for maximum taste and this one is easy on the clock as well. Also, not to forget how classy this pulao looks. Have it with dal, curries or with nothing at all, it’ll still taste epic. It will be a solid match for vegetarians if you go with Paneer Mutter (recipe Here).
This would serve 2 people. We would need –
- Basmati Rice – 1 cup – soaked in water for an hour
- Onion – 1 (medium) – sliced
- Carrots – ½ Cup – Roughly cut in cubes
- Beans – ½ Cup – Roughly chopped (Bro tip: Cut it the way I’ve shown in an angle. Looks amazing)
- Green peas – ½ Cup
- Soyabean – ½ Cup – Soaked in water
- Cashew – 6 to 8
- Whole Garam Masala (3 Green Cardamoms, 4 Cloves, 1 inch cinnamon stick, 5-6 black peppercorns)
- Cumin – 1 Tsp
- Ghee – 2 Tbsp
- Salt to taste
- First of all, take a medium sized cooker and heat some ghee in it. Add the whole garam masala and cumin seeds. Let it crackle.
- Add the sliced onions next and sauté it for a minute. You need not brown the onions, it will become translucent in a minute. Add the cashews now and sauté for 30 secs more.
- Add the carrots and beans with a little bit of salt. Follow it up with peas and soybean. Cook on a low-medium flame for a minute.
- Next goes in the soaked rice. Mix well and cook it for a minute more. (Bro Tip: Be gentle when you mix the rice. You wouldn’t want the rice grains to break in halves)
- Finally, add some water. The water level should be a ½ inch above the level of the rice. Give it one last mix and close the lid of the cooker.
- Furthermore, increase the flame and just when it is about to whistle, switch off the gas and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- At last release the extra pressure if there is any and open the lid. Mix the pulao well and serve hot!