Whenever I’ve pictured myself out on a date, enjoying a glass of wine, the one thing that I’m certainly eating is Pasta. I have always thought of pasta to be a very classy dish and worthy of cooking when you’re trying to impress someone (worked for me). What makes it so classy for me is the colourful veggies that goes in along with that creamy white sauce made with milk, flour and butter. Contrary to what many may think pasta is one of the easiest to cook. As for the taste, it is as good as it looks. So put on your master chef caps and let’s roll.
What you will need!
- Pasta – 1 cup (close to 100 gms) – I’ve used Fusilli
- Chicken – cut in thin strips – 100 gms
- Veggies – 150 gms (I’ve used Broccoli, Bell Peppers, Mushrooms and Zucchini)
- Garlic – chopped – 2 Tbsp
- Onion – Thinly Sliced – ½ onion (Optional)
- All-purpose flour – 1 ½ Tbsp
- Oregano – 3 TSp
- Chili Flakes – 3 Tsp
- Black Pepper Powder – 1 Tsp
- Cheese – grated – 2 cubes (Bro Tip: You can use 1 cube and 2 slices as well. Adding different types of cheeses gives your sauce a rich and smooth texture)
- Milk – Full Fat – 2 ½ cups (use 1 ½ cup if chicken is not added)
- Butter – Tbsp
- Oil – Tbsp
- Salt – To Taste
To cook pasta in the least amount of time we would have to do some multi-tasking. You can keep your pasta to boil and sauté your chicken and veggies in the meantime. Prepare the white sauce and add your veggies, chicken and boiled pasta.
- Heat 3 cups of water in a deep container. Add some salt and oil in the water. Once it starts boiling add your pasta. It roughly takes around 8-10 minutes for pasta to cook. To check if it’s done pick up one pasta and give it a bite. It should not be uncooked from the inside.
- Once done, remove from heat and strain the excess water. Sprinkle some oil so they do not stick.
- In a non-stick pan heat 1 tsp oil and add ½ tbsp garlic. Sauté for 15 secs on medium flame and add the sliced chicken. Add some salt, pepper, oregano and chili flakes. Sauté for 2 mins and keep them aside. (To all my vegetarian bro, please skip this step)
- In the same pan add some oil and garlic. Add all your veggies in the order, Broccoli – Bell Peppers – Zucchini – Mushrooms sautéing the previous veggie for 15 secs before adding the next.
- Add some salt, pepper, oregano and chili flakes. Sauté for 1 min and keep them aside.
- In the same pan heat some butter. Add the remaining 1 Tbsp chopped garlic and sliced onions. Sauté for 30 secs on medium flame (Bro Tip: Try not to brown the garlic)
- Add flour and cook till its raw flavor goes. The color should change to a very light brown.
- Now add the milk 1 cup at a time continuously stirring to avoid any lumps. A thick white sauce will be ready in a minute’s time.
- Now add the cooked pasta, sautéed chicken and veggies. Give it a good mix. Now add the grated cheese, oregano, chili flakes, pepper and salt as required. Let the cheese melt.
- Wait no more. Set your table with two glasses of wine and a big bowl of white sauce pasta in between.